ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 1

Joachim Breitner nomeata at
Sat Dec 24 11:41:37 CET 2011

Am Samstag, den 24.12.2011, 08:28 +1100 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > ghc-stage2: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
> >   (GHC version for powerpc-unknown-linux):
> > 	Cant do annotations without GHCi
> >     {libraries/vector/Data/Vector/Fusion/Stream/Monadic.hs:104:19-33}
> >     base:GHC.Exts.ForceSpecConstr{d rbL}
> Thats related to the problem of GHCi being broken on powerpc.

Somewhat: vector uses annotations, annotation need GHCi, GHCi is
disabled (because broken) on powerpc, vector is bundled by accident in
GHC (and will be removed in the final release, unless I am mistaken),
and the real vector package is patched in Debian to handle this
( My hope is that ghc will in the future ignore annotations on non-GHCi-arches (

Once vector is unbundled, I expect the build to succeed on powerpc. I
guess the other weird-arch builds would have failed at this point as
well, if they had not failed due to the various other reasons earlier; I
hope these get fixed in the final release.

Maybe Debian should offer GHC to run buildbots
( on at least some of
our weird arch machines, so that these problems will be noticed.
earlier. But I’m not sure if the DSA team allows such a thing, as we’d
be running code that is not under our control. Is someone in the Haskell
team interested in finding that out?

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata at | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata at |