With every new GHC release, also released any new versions of libraries

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:36:13 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Daniel Fischer
<daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 25 August 2011, 10:39:29, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> P.S. Could someone please remind me why containers ships with GHC?
>
> Some other packages shipped with GHC depend on containers, e.g. hoopl,
> template-haskell, haskeline, binary.

So GHC uses some packages in its implementation, but that shouldn't
have to mean that it also needs to export these. Is this a technical
issue?

As a thought experiment lets consider what would happen if GHC would
like to use unordered-containers in its implementation. Should GHC now
be making releases to unordered-containers? That doesn't sound like a
good thing.