Superclass defaults

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 22:03:44 CEST 2011

On 15.08.2011 14:36, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> With help from Conor we have made some progress on this: we have a draft design:
> 	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DefaultSuperclassInstances
>
> If you care about the issue, maybe you can help resolve the above questions. In particular, to give
> concrete evidence for (b), working out some case studies would be a Good Thing. The examples given in other proposals using the extension proposed here would be one starting point.

I don't completely understant how does it work. Does client need to
enable language extension to get default instances?

Also proposal cannot fix Functor/Applicative/Monad problem without
breaking client code. It requires explicit opt-out but client may define
Applicative instance. And unless "hiding" is added it will result in
compile error.