GHCJS

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Aug 3 21:45:03 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 11:44:10AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 03/08/2011 11:09, Victor Nazarov wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
> ><simonpj at microsoft.com>  wrote:
>
> >>So perhaps that's the problem. parseDynamicFlags could perfectly well simply return any un-recognised flags. Indeed, I thought it did just that -- it certainly returns a list of un-consumed arguments.  If it doesn't perhaps that's a bug.
> >
> >parseDynamicFlags returns un-consumed arguments if they are something
> >like filenames, but it throws error if un-consumed argument starts
> >with dash.
>
> So then parseDynamicFlags should be split into two layers, the lower
> layer returning unused flags, and the upper layer generating errors.

It's not that simple. In
    ghcjs -O -someflag something -Wall
is "something" an argument to someflag, or a file to be compiled?

I think the best approach is to make a variant
    parseDynamicFlagsAnd
which takes an extra argument of type [Flag (CmdLineP DynFlags)] which
it prepends to dynamic_flags.

Otherwise there's Edward's suggestion, but it would be a bit depressing
to have to use -- even for the simplest invocations, e.g.
    ghcjs -- -O foo.hs
although I guess you could mirror the most common GHC flags as ghcjs
flags.

Thanks
Ian