Incrementally consuming the eventlog

Donnie Jones donnie at darthik.com
Thu Apr 28 23:53:20 CEST 2011

Hello Johan,

I did the initial implementation of GHC.Eventlog.  Sadly, I haven't
had time to work on it since starting a full-time job after
university.  That being said, I am still interested in GHC and the
improvement of GHC.Eventlog.  Hopefully soon, I will have the time to
do more development on GHC...  hopefully.  ;)

Anyway, from your description, I don't understand how a listener would
consume the eventlog incrementally?

I do think it would be useful to register listeners for events.  I do
not think the invocation of a callback would be too much overhead,
rather the action the callback performs could be a very significant
overhead, such as sending eventlog data over a network connection.
But, if you are willing to accept the performance loss from the
callback's action to gain the event data then it seems worthwhile to
me.

I'm sure Simon M knows better than I do regarding this...
I look forward to hearing more.  Thanks.
--
Donnie