parsing types

Ranjit Jhala jhala at cs.ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 24 03:26:55 CEST 2011

Hi Daniel --

that was a good lead, with a little digging around, I found

	hscTcExpr :: GhcMonad m => HscEnv -> String -> m Type

which almost gets the job done, if only I could call it with
the appropriate HscEnv. The one I get using

	getSession :: GhcMonad m => m HscEnv

appears rather impoverished, as it fails to find the usual
prelude names like

	Not in scope: `undefined'
	Not in scope: `error'

(though it does succeed on the expression "5" yielding the type)

"forall t_a4eW. (GHC.Num.Num t_a4eW) => t_a4eW"

Does anyone have a clue as to how to get a hold on an appropriate
environment? (I would have thought that the HscEnv obtained _after_
compiling some file "f" would populated with at least the names
needed to compile "f") that is, if I do:

      	cm0  <- compileToCoreSimplified f
	env  <- getSession

then the resulting "env" would suffice, but unfortunately thats not
the case...

Thanks!,

Ranjit.