Rebuilding ghc changes interface hashes?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Sun Apr 10 07:32:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 09.04.2011, 20:18 +0100 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> That's right, the ABI hashes are not guaranteed to be stable, and in
> practice do change unpredictably.  While this doesn't affect
> correctness, I realise it's a problem for you, and it's something we'd
> like to fix.  The case above looks like a new one I didn't know about,
> so I've added it to the wiki.
>
> In fact, I'm pretty impressed that we manage to get the same hashes even
> sometimes.  Do you have any idea how many bits have to be in the right
> order for that to happen :-)

anyways, rather changing hashes than installed packages breaking... so
we are still happy about the hashes. Nevertheless, any efforts to make
them more stable are appreciated. After all, it helps to safe the
climate, as any unforseen change can cause rebuilds of >200 packages on
>10 architectures, burning a lot of Watts ;-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner