Rebuilding ghc changes interface hashes?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Sat Apr 9 18:17:59 CEST 2011

Hi again,

Am Samstag, den 09.04.2011, 10:46 +0530 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Freitag, den 08.04.2011, 22:00 +0200 schrieb Matthias Kilian:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:44:33PM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> > > I still have to find my noticeses about wether cBooterVersion affects
> > > more than only the ghc lib.
> >
> > Did a quick test the other day; bootstrapping ghc-7.0.3 from
> > ghc-6.12.3 with two different VERSION_DATE files. The only visible
> > change was in the ghc library, so this part indeed isn't worth any
> > work.
>
> So something about the order of arguments changed. I don’t see how that
> should be influenced by the bootstrapping compiler, but I hope it is –
> if it were not any rebuild of ghc would risk changing the ABI hashes...

I just redid the experiment with 7.0.3 vs. 7.0.2, and now only the hash
of the ghc package changed when building 7.0.3 with 7.0.3 instead of
7.0.2, but the other hashes stayed stable. Given that only few libraries
use the ghc package, this is good enough for Debian.

I’m uploading ghc-7.0.3 to Debian very shortly, but will not rebuild it
before triggering rebuilds of all libraries.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner