ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.1 Release Candidate 1

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:56:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:55:51AM -0700, Evan Laforge wrote:
>> There are some issues with the .pkg installer under OS X:
>>
>> Installers shouldn't be deleting the old version!
>
> This has been a long-standing bug of the OS X installer. We'd love a fix
> from an OS X installer expert! The framework-pkg target in
> distrib/MacOS/Makefile is how we build the installer.
>
>> solution for this is to have /usr/bin/ghc-a.b.c point to
>> .../GHC.framework/Versions/abc/... instead of
>> ../GHC.framework/Versions/Current/...
>
> Yes, that would make sense, if we could install multiple versions
> simultaneously.

I'm far from an OS X installer expert, but after some puttering and
trial and error I came up with a patch that seems to work.  I created
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4354 and attached the
patch.

The main question is whether or not I can kill Uninstaller, as it's
even more broken now than it was before.  If yes, I'll attach another
patch that removes it.

Oh, and I think I may have accidentally sent the patch to
cvs at ghc.haskell.org thanks to darcs' auto send thing, ignore that
please.