SIGALRM, SIGVTALRM, and third party libraries

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 8 10:57:20 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Simon Marlow's message of Wed Sep 08 03:40:42 -0400 2010:
> Maybe.  As a first step I think we could just document what happens when
> a call is interrupted (pthread_cancel() on POSIX, ??? on Windows) and
> let the user handle it.  Is there even a good lowest-common-denominator
> that we can build an API on top of?

I've been thinking carefully about this, and I kind of suspect one-size
fits all won't work here.  I've done a writeup here; one of the problems
with moving pthread_cancel to Windows is that its semantics are so complicated.

    http://blog.ezyang.com/2010/09/pthread-cancel-on-window/

Cheers,
Edward