SIGALRM, SIGVTALRM, and third party libraries

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at
Tue Sep 7 12:59:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 2:53 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at> wrote:

> I think that should be fine - there should always be a worker thread in the
> system available to handle the signal.  You could probably block those
> signals permanently for that thread.

Good to know, thanks.

> But why does the failure occur in the first place?  Is the library not
> handling EINTR?

That's right. There's unfortunately a ton of library code out there that was
written by people who don't know when EINTR can bite, and the mysql client
library happens to be the most prominent one that affects the Haskell