network programming with GHC 7

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Thu Oct 28 05:16:58 EDT 2010

Hello,

When I compiled a network server with GHC 7 without the "-threaded"
option and ran it, I got the following error.

	file descriptor 5496824 out of range for select (0--1024).

I have read the paper "Scalable Event Handling for GHC" and understand
that this new IO manger assumes the "-threaded" option.

Does this mean that we need the "-threaded" option to GHC 7 for
networking programming and GHC 7 does not maintain backward
compatibility?  If so, this should be documented.

--Kazu