Implicit 'forall' in data declarations

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 25 12:00:40 EDT 2010

| > | On a related note, these are also apparently allowed (in 6.10.4):
| > |     f :: forall a. (Eq a => a -> a) -> a -> a
| > |    -- the Eq context prevents the function from ever being called.
| >
| > That's not true.  E.g.
| >        f ((==) True) True
| > works fine.
|
| What I meant is that f cannot call its argument.

Oh now I see. Yes, that's true.  But it could be hard to work out:

	f :: forall a. (C a, D a) => (E [a] => a -> a) -> Int

Can 'f' call its argument?  Well, it depends if you can deduce E [a] from (C a, D a).  And if this was a local type signature there might be other constraints in scope.

Anyway, it's certainly true that some types are more useful than others (e.g. (forall a. Int -> a) must be the constant bottom function), but I don't think it's fruitful to try to exclude them *as types*.