ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.1 Release Candidate 1

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 19:21:29 EDT 2010

> I've pushed patches to do this, and also added the full GHC version and
> arch (i386/x86_64) to the framework version number.
>
> One annoyance is that if you have 7.1.20101023-i386 installed, then
> 7.1.20101022-i386 won't actually install any files (Console's log gave
> something to the effect of "newer version already installed" as the
> reason). I'm not sure if that can be fixed by fiddling with
> CURRENT_PROJECT_VERSION, or by fixing/removing the version number in
> GHC-relocatable.pmdoc/01ghc.xml or GHC-system.pmdoc/01ghc.xml.

I couldn't find any documentation for how OS X determines a newer
version, or even where it gets the version from, since there are many
many things scattered around that look like versions.  There are also
a few versions in Info.plist: CFBundleShortVersionString and
CFBundleVersion.

You can install with the cmdline installer, which will print those
errors to stdout, but the GUI version annoyingly won't tell you if it
aborted because it thinks you have a newer version.

I'll download the latest build and mess around with it some more to
try to figure out what makes version upgrades happen.

The main thing to verify is that release versions with different
patchlevels upgrade properly, since this is certainly something people
will be doing.