GHC static binaries with glibc-2.12?

Alexander Dunlap alexander.dunlap at
Sun Oct 10 00:22:27 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at> wrote:
> On 08/10/2010 03:23, Alexander Dunlap wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my Arch Linux system to glibc 2.12 and static
>> binaries compiled with GHC 6.12.3 all fail with the message
>> "mkTextEncoding: invalid argument (Invalid argument)". This did not
>> happen with glibc 2.11. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone
>> have any advice for debugging it?
> Probably something to do with iconv.  Doesn't iconv need to load its codec
> modules dynamically at runtime?
> Cheers,
>        Simon

Yes, it does, but strace seems to show that the program is looking in
the right place for the iconv libraries. Is there some way to step
through the code of a statically-linked program? I'm not sure how to
proceed debugging a Haskell-originated error that only occurs with
static linking (so I can't use the GHCi debugger).