clearing GHCi (and, by extension, hint) loaded module dependencies

Alex Suraci i.am at toogeneric.com
Wed Oct 6 15:26:21 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, in that case the results are to be expected.  GHC prior to version 7.0.1
> didn't release memory back to the OS even when the memory requirements of
> the program dropped: see

> In 7.0.1 we do release memory back to the OS, although I think on Windows
> we're still not releasing address space.
>
> Cheers,
>        Simon

Oh. Well then, good call. :)

I've got Atomo up and running on GHC 7 now. Very nice performance
boosts! Plus memory appears to be freed, though I can't test loading
as it panics:

    atomo $ atomo
    > load: "src/empty.hs"
    atomo: atomo: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
      (GHC version 7.0.0.20100924 for i386-apple-darwin):
    	Testing for extension flag Opt_Generics before flattening

    Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

Daniel: I've attached a patch containing the changes I made to Hint to
get it compiling (though not working apparently) on GHC 7. Hope it
helps!

--
Alex