Odd behavior of ncurses with -threaded

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Fri Nov 12 11:42:25 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything that we could do in GHC to improve the situation?  I
> suppose we could have a dedicated OS thread who's job it was to sit around
> and run the signal handler every Nth of a second.

Maybe that would work, or masking out RTS signals before calling potentially
blocking foreign code (which is all my hack does). Another option would be
to include my hack in the Foreign or GHC.* hierarchy somewhere in base. It's
clear that a large number of C programmers know nothing about restarting
system calls, and authors writing FFI code typically can't do anything about
that except make sure those system calls don't get interrupted in the first
place.