MonoLocalBinds and darcs

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at
Tue Nov 2 03:37:32 EDT 2010

I've just been updating darcs 2.5 for GHC 7.0. I had to add about 40
signatures for MonoLocalBinds in about 140 files/30K LOC. Is that about
normal? darcs does make fairly heavy use of rank 2 polymorphism which
leads to quite a lot of local definitions needing to be polymorphic.

Also, NoMonoLocalBinds didn't help at all, which surprised me a bit - I
thought it might at least make some of the signatures unnecessary.

Finally, is NoMonoLocalBinds supposed to imply NPlusKPatterns? The only
changes I was able to revert when I enabled it were a couple of those!