Type error in GHC-7 but not in GHC-6.12.3

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 1 05:14:30 EDT 2010

| foo :: (forall s. ST s a) -> a
| foo st = ($) runST st

This is a motivating example for type inference that can deal with impredicative types.  Consider the type of ($):
	($) :: forall p q.  (p->q) -> p -> q
In the example we need to instantiate 'p' with (forall s. ST s a), and that's what impredicative polymorphism means: instantiating a type variable with a polymorphic type.

Sadly, I know of no system of reasonable complexity that can typecheck 'foo' unaided.  There are plenty of complicated systems, and I have been a co-author on papers on at least two, but they are all Too Jolly Complicated to live in GHC.  We did have an implementation of boxy types, but I took it out when implementing the new typechecker.  Nobody understood it.

However, people so often write
	runST $ do ...
that in GHC 7 I implemented a special typing rule, just for infix uses of ($).  Just think of
(f $ x) as a new syntactic form, with the obvious typing rule, and away you go.

It's very ad hoc, because it's absolutely specific to ($), and I'll take it out if you all hate it, but it's in GHC 7 for now.

Anyway, that's why you encountered the puzzling behaviour you describe below.

Simon