[Gtk2hs-users] ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.3 Release Candidate 1

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:50:37 EDT 2010

Hello Axel,

> - you use -threaded to compile your program
> - you only use postGUISync and postGUIAsync from threads different to
> the Gtk2Hs thread

> Is this true? If yes, I'll give you an elaboration on how threads are
> supposed to work in Gtk+ (I think I finally understood this!) and what
> I've changed in 0.11.0.

i'm among (probably many) developers who interested to hear it. i
believe that gtk2hs uses thread where it was initialized as main (this
thread should be bound so it's either main thread or one created with
runInBoundThread/forkOS) and the everything should either run in this
thread directly, or in signal hadlers (that are executed in this
thread) or via postGUISync/postGUIAsync. moreover postGUISync can't be
used inside main GUI thread due to locking

as you may remember, once i proposed to add wrapper that is equal to
id in main GUI thread but equal to postGUISync in other threads. or
even better, wrap all gtk2hs operations in this wrapper

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com