[Gtk2hs-users] ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.3 Release Candidate 1

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:50:37 EDT 2010

Hello Axel,

> - you use -threaded to compile your program
> - you only use postGUISync and postGUIAsync from threads different to
> the Gtk2Hs thread

> Is this true? If yes, I'll give you an elaboration on how threads are
> supposed to work in Gtk+ (I think I finally understood this!) and what
> I've changed in 0.11.0.

i'm among (probably many) developers who interested to hear it. i
believe that gtk2hs uses thread where it was initialized as main (this
thread should be bound so it's either main thread or one created with
runInBoundThread/forkOS) and the everything should either run in this
thread directly, or in signal hadlers (that are executed in this
thread) or via postGUISync/postGUIAsync. moreover postGUISync can't be
used inside main GUI thread due to locking

as you may remember, once i proposed to add wrapper that is equal to
id in main GUI thread but equal to postGUISync in other threads. or
even better, wrap all gtk2hs operations in this wrapper

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com