HEADS UP: bugs in GHC 6.12.2

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed May 12 04:41:04 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to say that in GHC 6.12.2, as a result of fixing a couple of
bugs in 6.12.1, we (well, I) managed to introduce some more serious ones:

The first causes gtk2hs programs to crash, and we have a report of it
affecting hmatrix too.  There's no workaround unfortunately: the problem
is that we changed some data structures related to FFI calls, with the
result that a nested callback (calling out to C, back to Haskell, out to
C again and back to Haskell in the same thread) can result in a crash or
a bogus result.

The second causes lazy bytestring's hGetContents to block waiting for a
full buffer, when it should just return the data already read.  You can
work around this by using bytestring-0.9.1.5 instead of the supplied
0.9.1.6.

We'll put out 6.12.3 with fixes for these as soon as possible.  In the
meantime, if you are still on 6.12.1 and not encountering any problems,
I don't recommend upgrading.

Sorry for the inconvenience.