Parallel Haskell: 2-year project to push real world use

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon May 3 20:32:25 EDT 2010

On 04/05/2010, at 09:21, Christian Höner zu Siederdissen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on that topic, consider this (rather trivial) array:
>
> a = array (1,10) [ (i,f i) | i <-[1..10]] where
>  f 1 = 1
>  f 2 = 1
>  f i = a!(i-1) + a!(i-2)
>
> (aah, school ;)
>
> Right now, I am abusing vector in ST by doing this:
>
> a <- new
> a' <- freeze a
> forM_ [3..10] $ \i -> do
>  write a (a'!(i-1) + a!(i-2))
>
> Let's say I wanted to do something like this in dph (or repa), does that
> work? We are actually using this for RNA folding algorithms that are at
> least O(n^3) time. For some of the more advanced stuff, it would be
> really nice if we could "just" parallelize.

Do you really just need a prefix sum? These are easily parallelisable if the operator is associative. For instance, you could implement the Fibonacci sequence as:

mapP fst $ scanP (\(a,b) _ -> (a+b,a)) (1,0) $ replicateP n (0,0)

and DPH would parallelise it. That's how I would write the above with vector as well.

> To summarise: I need arrays that allow in-place updates.

In-place updates + parallelism = bad! That's oversimplifying, of course. But the transformations underlying DPH, for instance, simply don't work in the presence of side effects.

> Otherwise, most libraries that do heavy stuff (O(n^3) or worse) are
> using vector right now. On a single core, it performs really great --
> even compared to C-code that has been optimized a lot.

That's great to know! Do you (or anyone else) by any chance have any benchmarks you could share? At the moment, I'm only benchmarking vector with a couple of rather simplistic algorithms which is a bit of a problem.

Roman