Proposal: priority queues in containers

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:50:48 EDT 2010

On 18 March 2010 22:02, Louis Wasserman <wasserman.louis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still pretty strongly in favor of putting priority queues into
> containers: other programming languages consider it necessary for inclusion
> into standardized libraries, people will be more likely to use appropriate
> data structures for their needs when reliable, friendly implementations are
> already at their fingertips, and other reasons already discussed.

The Haskell Platform is really is intended to be available at your
fingertips.  Unfortunately, the following does not work (although I
thought it's supposed to)

     $ cabal install haskell-platform

Nevertheless, the libraries bundled with GHC are those libraries that
GHC itself needs and which therefore cannot be upgraded independently.
 The real standard libraries are the Haskell Platform and if your
package is part of the platform, then your package *is* in status
equivalent to things like java.util.*.

This weekend's Hackathon in Zürich will partly be dedicated to getting
the next release of the Platform release ready.  If you can get your
package into the following platform release (due 6 months after the
current release), then this would surely make it the default package
for anyone in need of a PQ.

/ Thomas
--
Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.