Proposal: priority queues in containers

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:21:04 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Louis Wasserman
<wasserman.louis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Submit this package for canonicalization as part of the Haskell Platform.
>> I would for one would support its inclusion.
>
> This is an option I seriously hadn't considered.  To be fair, that's because
> I've never used the Platform myself, preferring rather to have the most
> up-to-date version of GHC at all times, heh.  That said, while I'd be okay
> with this option, I'd prefer putting it into containers, because I feel like
> a canonical, reliable priority queue implementation is the sort of thing a
> self-respecting language ought to have built in.

I don't like libraries getting bigger, I like them getting smaller.

When they're smaller they're easier to understand and easier to upgrade.

So I would also advice proposing your package for the HP (Haskell Platform).

I'm even for splitting containers into sub-packages: maps, sets,
sequence, graph and tree. Those sub-packages would then need to be
added to the HP.

Then we could turn containers into a meta-package that depends on
these sub-packages (similar to how the HP works[1]).

Finally we could deprecate containers and after some time remove it.

(I'm also for splitting base even more... but one thing at a time)

regards,

Bas

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/2009.2.0.2/haskell-platform.cabal