"static_wrapper" imports in the FFI

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 19:38:51 EDT 2010

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems hard to justify adding this to GHC, since it's really just
> syntactic convenience for a particular case.  Traditionally syntactic sugar
> for FFI declarations has been implemented in the preprocessing tools: c2hs
> and hsc2hs, whereas the FFI extension itself is purposefully minimal.

The fact that, at present, all GHC-compiled programs require an
executable data segment is a fairly significant problem.  For example,
SE Linux policies need to be adjusted for all GHC-compiled programs,
even if run-time code generation never actually happens.

I decided to implement this as a GHC patch because it seems more
primitive then the "wrapper" imports:  it is a simpler feature
which---if it was available---would have been sufficient in all the
situations where I have needed to use a "wrapper" import.
Furthermore, the code that is called by the adjustor thunks is
essentially the function that we are exposing in a "static_wrapper"
import, so it seems plausible that "wrapper" imports can be
implemented on top of this, although I have not done this.

I thought of implementing the feature as a preprocessor but it did not
seem very easy to do because we need to parse Haskell types.  Of
course, I could have either hacked up a simple parser, or used some
kind of a Haskell parsing library but that seemed very heavy-weight.
Also, preprocessors tend to complicate the build system, result in
confusing error messages, and make it difficult to work with modules
in GHCi.

As far as I can see, the notation that I used does not conflict with
anything, except possibly importing a C function named
"static_wrapper" without specifying a header file, which is already a
problem with "wrapper" imports.  This would not be the case if we used
something which is not a valid C identifier (e.g., "static").  This
seems like a small enough change to not require a separate flag.  If
we decided to use Tyson's suggested syntax, then we should probably
add a flag.

In any case, I think that moving away from executable data is
important enough that I'd be happy with an extra flag.  Thoughts?

-Iavor