Easily generating efficient instances for classes

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 05:32:49 EST 2010

> From: Christian H?ner zu Siederdissen
>
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about how to easily generate instances for a class. Each
> instance is a tuple with 1 or more elements. In addition there is a
> second tuple with the same number of elements but different type. This
> means getting longer and longer chains of something like (...,x3*x2,x2,0).
>
> - template haskell?
> - CPP and macros?
>
> Consider arrays with fast access like Data.Vector, but with higher
> dimensionality. Basically, I want (!) to fuse when used in Data.Vector
> code.

(shameless plug) You may want to look at my AdaptiveTuple package,
which does something very similar to this.  I used Template Haskell
because AFAIK neither generic approaches nor DrIFT/Derive will
generate data decls.

If all you need are the instances, then DrIFT or Derive would be my
recommendations.

Cheers,
John