GHC.IO.Device and "ready" method?

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:06:31 EDT 2010

Hi,

Should an implementation of GHC.IO.Device expect the `ready' method to
be called from a thread different than one waiting for an I/O
operation on a handle to complete, while that operation is in
progress?

As a more general question, are GHC Handles (and underlying
implementations of GHC.IO.Device and GHC.IO.BufferedIO) expected to be
thread-safe?

I would be happy to store the id of the thread that calls mkFileHandle
somewhere in the underlying `dev' and simply reject all I/O requests
that come from other threads, but is this correct/permitted behavior?

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web