heap profiling

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 12:09:49 EDT 2010

On 16/06/2010 14:04, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

> Finally, you can tune the eden/nursery generation by providing +RTS
> -A5m for instance. The default is 0.5 megabytes which I think is way
> too low for most work. Increasing it blindly will hurt though as you
> will hit L1/L2 cache limits and get worse performance.

Not sure I follow here - you say that 0.5MB is too low, and yet
increasing it will hurt performance (I agree with you on the last point:
in my experience most of the time increasing it does tend to make things
worse).  OTOH there are programs where the 0.5MB default really hurts -
the binary-trees benchmark on the shootout, for example.

If we could identify a useful set of heuristics to decide when it's a
good idea to increase the nursery size, that would help.  I think the
only way to get a real handle on this is to put together a comprehensive
benchmark suite and test lots of different programs with different heap
requirements, and on lots of different machines with different cache sizes.

Incedentally, GHC HEAD has a new flag +RTS -H, which increases the
nursery size but without increasing the overall memory use (basically it
uses the space left over after a copying major collection for the
nursery).  This sometimes helps with programs that have large heaps, but
not always.