Question regarding combinator call convention

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:02:19 EST 2010

I was looking through the code for 6.12.1 and am a bit confused about 11.1.3
in the runtime system documentation docs/rts/rts.tex.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.79.641&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It says the arguments passing convention to a known combinator differs from
that of the others in that it starts the arguments with R1 instead of R2 (R1
points to the associated memory data structure for non-combinators).

The thing I'm confused with is I would expect this would require treating
combinators special, and yet I don't see an combinator specific stuff (in either
ClosureTypes.h or the generated AutoApply.cmm) to treat them special.

Ive also looking at functions like plusInt and a few of my own, but, apart
from internal functions like stg_app_*, I'm not finding any code using the the
combinator passing convention.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!  -Tyson