Fw: Re: Re[2]: No more ExitException? <- documentation bug

Volker Wysk vw at volker-wysk.de
Thu Jan 28 02:32:57 EST 2010

The following message went to Bulat Ziganshin alone. So here it is for the mailing list. Sorry.

Begin forwarded message:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:43:13 +0300
Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > exitWith throws the ExitCode when it is called. This leads to the
> > shutdown of the program, if it isn't caught. Just like ExitException.
>
> > This isn't documented.
>
> i've googled for "exitWith throws the ExitCode" and it pointed me to
> the exitWith docs: "Computation exitWith code throws ExitException code."

This is the source code of exitWith:

-------------------------snip-----------------------------

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- exitWith

-- | Computation 'exitWith' @code@ throws 'ExitException' @code at .
-- Normally this terminates the program, returning @code@ to the
-- program's caller.  Before the program terminates, any open or
-- semi-closed handles are first closed.
--
-- A program that fails in any other way is treated as if it had
-- called 'exitFailure'.

#ifndef __NHC__
exitWith :: ExitCode -> IO a
exitWith ExitSuccess = throwIO ExitSuccess
exitWith code@(ExitFailure n)
  | n /= 0 = throwIO code
#ifdef __GLASGOW_HASKELL__
  | otherwise = ioError (IOError Nothing InvalidArgument "exitWith" "ExitFailure 0" Nothing)
#endif
#endif  /* ! __NHC__ */

As you can see, it throws the ExitCode, not an ExitException. The documentation is faulty.

Cheers,
Volker

--
Volker Wysk <vw at volker-wysk.de>