Removing/deprecating -fvia-c

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Feb 16 20:13:03 EST 2010

On 15/02/2010, at 04:58, Don Stewart wrote:

> Do we have the blessing of the DPH team, wrt. tight, numeric inner loops?

FWIW, I don't think we even use -fvia-C when benchmarking. In general, -fvia-C is a dead end wrt numeric performance because gcc just doesn't optimise well enough. So even if we generated code that gcc could optimise properly (which we don't atm), we still would be way behind highly optimising compilers like Intel's or Sun's. IMO, the LLVM backend is the way to go here.

Roman