Confusion about GHC and GMP

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:17:13 EST 2010

I wonder if someone might be able to clear a few things up for me
about implementing Integer with GMP.  First, is the link below the
most up-to-date information regarding GHC's situation?

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes#BinaryDropinReplacementforGMP

I assume that "INTEGER_LIBRARY=integer-foo" is an option when
compiling GHC itself and not when using GHC, correct?  If so, what
version of GHC was this added?  6.10, 6.12, HEAD?

Lastly, I'm confused about GHC's posted license, should it actually be
LGPL so long as it statically links GMP?  Aren't there a number of
companies releasing binaries that were compiled with GHC?

Thanks,
Greg