DPH and CUDA status

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Feb 7 20:21:59 EST 2010

Scott Michel wrote,
> Are you also planning a LLVM backend for ghc, in a general sense, or just for the accelerated work you're doing? It seems to me that ghc itself could be well served with a LLVM backend, especially if one relies on the JIT mode. That could help identify code paths in the core and runtime that are infrequently used, further optimizing ghc's overall performance.

I had a student implementing a LLVM backend for GHC last year.  You can find the details at

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pls/thesis/davidt-thesis.pdf

We are planning to merge this work into the main GHC repository.

(At the moment, this is not using the JIT, but that would be another interesting project.)

Manuel