Functor => Applicative => Monad

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:33:36 CET 2010

Is there a discussion deadline, if this now a libraries proposal?

For something like this, you might want to advertise the discussion on
Plane Haskell, and the -cafe to get adequate discussion, as it seems
sure to break quite a few things. And reddit, although I consider that
a less contemplative venue. Maybe other places?

Do we know of any cases where this sort of conversion will be hard to do?

This is also usually the part of the discussion where I would ask for
an estimate as to how much this breaks what is published on Hackage,
but I think the answer would be "a lot." If I depend on a prior
version of the 'base' package, I'm guessing that I'm not insulated
from this change, due to how de-sugaring happens.

Do other haskell compilers (Hugs, NHC?) use the base library? How does
this change affect them?

Are there any ways to make this sort of change not break things? There
has been talk about a language extensions to make this thing work out,
but they have never been fleshed out, and they've always been the sort
that sounded like they would have many corner cases.

I don't like breaking things, even though the new hierarchy makes a
lot of sense.

Antoine