build issue: * Missing header file: HsBase.h

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Fri Dec 10 17:49:15 CET 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to recover my opensolaris builder machine after disk crash,
but after reinstall I'm not able to build any GHC there. I'm trying head
and now also 6.12.3 as a reference (as I'm able to build it on my
workstation with the same OS). The problem I see here is when I invoke
`gmake' then the process continues up to configuration of base library
which fails with:

checking value of ETIMEDOUT... 145
checking value of ETOOMANYREFS... 144
checking value of ETXTBSY... 26
checking value of EUSERS... 94
checking value of EWOULDBLOCK... 11
checking value of EXDEV... 18
checking value of ENOCIGAR... -1
checking value of SIGINT... 2
checking value of O_BINARY... 0
checking for library containing iconv... none required
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating base.buildinfo
config.status: creating include/HsBaseConfig.h
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-compiler
ghc-cabal: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing header file: HsBase.h
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
--extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.
gmake[1]: *** [libraries/base/dist-install/package-data.mk] Error 1
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

The problem is HsBase.h is where it is on my reference build tree on
workstation:

-bash-4.0$ find . -name 'HsBase.h'
./libraries/base/include/HsBase.h
-bash-4.0$

I suppose some external library might be missing, but here the error is
quite misleading and I cannot find which one might be the culprit of
this error.

Do you have any idea what to install in order to proceed?

Thanks!
Karel