Problems with openFd and -threaded

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH allbery at
Fri Dec 3 21:28:46 CET 2010

On 11/29/10 18:36 , Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at
> <mailto:wren at>> wrote:
>     So I've just started playing around with STM and -threaded programs and
>     I've run into a bug. The bug is similar to [1] except that the file in
>     question is a Posix FIFO instead of a Bluetooth device. Same behavior:
>     always errors with -threaded, but expected behavior when not -threaded
>     (i.e., blocks until another process opens the other end of the FIFO).
>     GHC version is 6.12.1.
> Isn't that pretty normal? Just retry if you get EINTR, that's what
> throwErrnoIfMinus1 and friends are for:

The problem is the interrupting signal is the timer interrupt used by the
runtime system; this should not be visible to user programs, instead the
runtime should *itself* restart the operation.

- --
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery at
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]  allbery at
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university      KF8NH
Version: GnuPG v2.0.10 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -