Cutting down GHC installation to bare minimum

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Apr 27 08:55:06 EDT 2010

leledumbo wrote:
> I notice that many of the installed libs aren't required for learning
> Haskell. What libs are required so I can get the bare minimum version of
> GHC?

For most people, the recommended approach is to install
the Haskell Platform. This is not a minimal setup - it includes
packages you would need for most normal use of Haskell.

http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

To get a minimal setup, you need to install GHC and cabal-install.
That will allow you to install just the packages you need as you
need them. This is not recommended for most people - there are
prerequisites, and there may be some complexities depending
on your platform. Anyway, the instructions are here:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_12_2.html
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

> Also, is there any automatic way so that I don't have to manually
> delete the folders and edit package.conf?

There isn't a smooth way to uninstall packages at the moment.
You don't need to edit package.conf, though, and you shouldn't.
Use "ghc-pkg unregister {pkg-id}". You do need to delete the folders
manually, unfortunately.

Regards,
Yitz