Getting a GHC repository got easier: new instructions

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:31:07 EDT 2010

On 26 April 2010 13:42, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> comments welcome!

This is great news. However,  I had some problems:

1) darcs-all does not add --lazy by default, which contradicts the wiki:

"""
$ ./darcs-all --testsuite get
warning: adding --partial, to override use --complete
warning: . already present; omitting
== running darcs get --partial http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc-tarballs
ghc-tarballs
--partial: hashed or darcs-2 repository detected, using --lazy instead
Finished getting.
"""

2) Once I added --lazy, I found that the binary repo is not in hashed format:

"""
== running darcs get --lazy http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/binary
libraries/binary
This is GHC's branch of the main binary repo.

NB. DO NOT push new patches to this repo, instead push patches
upstream first.  The main binary repo is at

  http://code.haskell.org/binary

Only push patches that are also in main repo to this branch.  Only
push once the patches pass GHC's validate script.

Before releasing GHC, the branch must be synced with a released
upstream version of binary.
**********************
Converting old-fashioned repository to hashed format...
Fetching a hashed repository would be faster.  Perhaps you could persuade
the maintainer to run darcs optimize --upgrade with darcs 2.4.0 or higher?
Finished getting.
"""

Apart from those issues, it worked great: it's certainly a damn sight
faster than it used to be! Since I'm on (case-insensitive) OS X, this
is also the first time I've been able to branch the GHC repo without
using "cp", which is excellent news :-)

Cheers,
Max