Update on GHC 6.12.1

scooter.phd at gmail.com scooter.phd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:05:24 EDT 2009

Is there a good motivating example for recursive do? So far, I haven't grokked the various use cases, which are pretty terse. Maybe the syntax sugar gets in the way (dangling lets are a good case in point).

It's a bit like grokking a Monad: it's the way to alter state, through a chain of binds, culminating in a return, where values can't escape outside the Monad itself. Using IO as the example w/the (hidden) realworld parameter makes the explanation more opaque than it need be.

-scooter