Type checker's expected and inferred types (reformatted)

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Sat Oct 24 15:21:51 EDT 2009

For the record, and to speak up as part of a possible silent majority,

I completely understand the type error messages. I find enough
information in them. I like them.

I find it unnecessary to "decrypt" the two words "expected" and
"inferred". They have their own definitions and they stand for
themselves; "external" and "internal" are helpful mnemonics, useful
approximation, but not decryption.

I support work on ghc to prioritize professional use over pedagogical
use, that is, if a proposed pedagogical improvement conflicts with
professional use concerns, or even if simply no one has time to
implement, I support sacrificing the pedagogical improvement. To
mitigate the sacrifice, we users write tutorials for each other.