6.12.1rc1: non-Latin filenames in GHCi

Chryssochoidis Christos christosc at me.com
Sun Oct 18 15:15:57 EDT 2009

Thanks Don for your reply.
I may have overlooked something in the blog post you gave, but my
understanding is that it talks about the user's input/output to and
from GHCi and the file system. The user IO with non-Latin chars seems
to work fine in GHC 6.12.1; e.g.:

> *Main> putStrLn "πρόχειρον.hs"
> πρόχειρον.hs

> *Main> getLine >>= putStrLn
> πρόχειρον.hs
> πρόχειρον.hs
> *Main>

It's only when GHCi attempts to print a diagnostic message containing
a filename with non-Latin chars that the garbling occurs:

> *Main> :load πρόχειρον.hs
> [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( πρΠ
> ¿ÌÏ‡ÎµÎ¹ÏÎ¿Î½.hs, interpreted )
>
> πρόχειρον.hs:1:23:
>     Not in scope: type constructor or class `Boo'
> Failed, modules loaded: none.
> Prelude>

It would be nice if the error messages at least showed correctly the
filename.

Maybe this has something to do with Haskeline?

Anyway thanks again,

Christos