ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.1 Release Candidate 1

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 23:43:49 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are pleased to (finally!) announce the first release candidate
> for GHC 6.12.1:
>
>    http://darcs.haskell.org/~ghc/dist/6.12.1rc1/
>
> As well as the source tarball:
>    ghc-6.12.0.20091010-src.tar.bz2
> there are installers for Windows (i386) and OS X (i386), and binary
> distributions for x86_64/Linux and i386/Linux. For the Linux binary
> distributions, the "linux-n" tarballs are recommended over the "linux"
> tarballs.
>

> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> before the release!

Here is my tale of woe. I'm running this on Mac OS X 10.6.

I tried to install the syb-with-class package off of hackage, which
initially failed because of the changes to the template-haskell
package installed with 6.12.1rc1.

So I think to myself "Oh! I'll just put an upper bound on the version
of template-haskell used in the .cabal file for syb, and install the
old version off of hackage".

The current version of template-haskell installs fine on 6.12.1rc1
with a couple minor tweaks (to compensate for StringConstr not being
present in Data.Data anymore).

But then when I try to build syb-with-class against the old
template-haskell lib I get the following error:

$ ./Setup build
Preprocessing library syb-with-class-0.5.1...
Building syb-with-class-0.5.1...
[3 of 4] Compiling Data.Generics.SYB.WithClass.Derive (
Data/Generics/SYB/WithClass/Derive.hs,
dist/build/Data/Generics/SYB/WithClass/Derive.o )

Data/Generics/SYB/WithClass/Derive.hs:23:0:
    Bad interface file:
/Users/alatter/.cabal/lib/template-haskell-2.3.0.1/ghc-6.12.0.20091010/Language/Haskell/TH.hi
        Something is amiss; requested module
template-haskell-2.3.0.1:Language.Haskell.TH differs from name found
in the interface file template-haskell:Language.Haskell.TH
<<<<<

Has anyone seen this before? Are there any tools I can use to peer
into .hi files to get more information about what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Antoine