ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.1 Release Candidate 1

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Oct 13 03:58:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:04:23PM -0400, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> What's the canonical way to install a version of ghc but not have it
> be the default?  i.e., I'd like to try testing this release candidate
> but I want to have to call it explicitly; I want 'ghc', 'ghc-pkg'
> etc. to still be aliases to ghc-6.10.4, instead of being overwritten
> by the 6.12.1 install.

If you want to install the OSX .pkg then I don't know of a way to do
this. Installing one seems to uninstall the previous one for no good
reason.

If you're installing the Windows installer then you can choose the
installation directory, but you'll have to make the aliases yourself.

If you're installing one of the Linux bindists then you can use
    ./configure --prefix=/your/path
and again you will have to set up the aliases yourself.

And if installing from source you can likewise use
    ./configure --prefix=/your/path
and set up aliases yourself.

Thanks
Ian