ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.1 Release Candidate 1

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Oct 13 00:43:32 EDT 2009

Barney Stratford:
>>> this one built and installed fine on Mac OS X 10.6 :).
>> Interesting, I thought there were still problems there.
> I assume that's a 32-bit version. The problems manifest themselves
> only when you compile a 64-bit GHC.

That's incorrect.  The 32-bit version is only partially working.  GHCi
dies with a bus error (after package loading) and various features
that need the interpreter/dynamic loading (such as TH and annotations)
die under certain circumstances.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually test this with 6.12.1RC1, but with
6.13.  However, there shouldn't be any difference as I am not aware of
any 6.12.1-specific Mac fixes.

Manuel

PS: I am chasing these bugs, but I don't have a lot of time for that
at the moment, they are tricky bugs, and my Mac-fu is still pretty
limited.  So, if anybody else likes to have a go with gdb and dtrace,
please do so.