Ghci fails to load modules, but ghc compiles OK

Colin Paul Adams colin at
Thu Oct 8 14:27:45 EDT 2009

I've been using ghc 6.10.3 on 64-bit Linux to compile my application,
and it runs OK, modulo bugs.

I want to debug a problem, so I load it in ghci, but when i type main
I get:

GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for symbol
whilst processing object file
This could be caused by:
   * Specifying the same object file twice on the GHCi command line
   * An incorrect `package.conf' entry, causing some object to be
     loaded twice.
GHCi cannot safely continue in this situation.  Exiting now.  Sorry.

Why would ghci have a problem, but not ghc?
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire