ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh igloo at
Mon Nov 23 11:53:55 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:41:30PM +1000, Jens Petersen wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce the second release candidate for GHC 6.12.1:
> >
> Thank you!
> > For the Linux binary
> > distributions, the "linux-n" tarballs are recommended over the "linux"
> > tarballs.
> Sorry if it is documented somewhere but what is the difference between them?

The bindists without the -n are built by the nightly builders on
something like a RedHat system. This has 2 libraries for ncurses:
libncurses and libtinfo.

Other systems, such as Debian, only have one library for ncurses:
libncurses. If you try to use that bindist on such a system, then it
will fail because it can't find libtinfo.

The -n bindists are built manually on Debian, so only depend on
libncurses. These binaries also work on systems with the split ncurses

If anyone knows of an easy way to get the buildbots to output portable
binaries, please let us know!