[Haskell-cafe] Template Haskell very wordy w/r/t Decs and Types

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 28 03:04:44 EDT 2009

You already have splicing for top level decls. Splicing for local decls is a whole different ball game because it brings new *binders* into scope.  For example

g = let $(foo) in ...f...

Is the 'f' inside 'g' the same 'f' as the one bound at top level?  Not necessarily, because $(foo) might bind f.  So I can't even do dependency analysis to figure out whether f and g are mutually recursive!   It gets harder if $(foo) mentions 'f'; and if the definition of 'f' has a declaration splice too.

So splicing local decls introduces a new raft of questions whose answers are not obvious, and that might require some substantial structural rearrangement of GHC.  In particular to the "rename and then typecheck" strategy.   It's very similar to reason that we don't allow splices in patterns.