baffling manual sections

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed May 20 08:23:58 EDT 2009

|   I'm a little puzzled by these seeming duplicate pages in the
|   manual:
|
|     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide/type-extensions.html
|
|     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide/data-type-
| extensions.html

The former is garbage. It's part of an *earlier* iteration of the HEAD user manual, left around by mistake.

|   They give slightly different section numbers to similar stuff.
|   The former page also has a curious discussion of standalone
|   deriving with a `for` keyword:
|
|     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide/type-
| extensions.html#stand-alone-deriving

Same problem.  Standalone deriving is described here
  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide/deriving.html#stand-alone-deriving

The best thing is to start from the user guide root
        http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide
(which, incidentally, is the user guide for HEAD, not 6.10), and follow links from there.  Simon is removing the earlier droppings.