Should exhaustiveness testing be on by default?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue May 19 03:37:28 EDT 2009

No, the shortcomings are not documented I'm afraid.  It's a squishy question because when you add guards and view patterns it's undecidable whether patterns overlap or are exhaustive.

Still, GHC's current implementation is poor.  It's a well-contained project that is awaiting a competent implementor. see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ProjectSuggestions

Simon