Unable to compile ghc from darcs

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 03:03:47 EDT 2009

    Austin> Excerpts from Colin Paul Adams's message of Sun Mar 29
    Austin> 09:29:43 -0500 2009:
    >> I was getting errors somewhere in haddock about some ambiguous
    >> function, so I did a darcs pull to see if that would pull in a
    >> fix for the problem (unfortunately I didn't make a note of the
    >> errors).
    >>
    >> But now the compile fails earlier with errors in
    >> deSugar/DsMeta.hs:
    >>
    >> deSugar/DsMeta.hs:471:48: Not in scope: type constructor or
    >> class `TH.InlineSpecQ'

    Austin> Sounds like it has to do with a template haskell update.

    >> From the root of the source tree, do:

    Austin>  $ make distclean $ ./darcs-all pull -a
    Austin>  $ ./configure ...  $ make ...

    Austin> like usual.

Thanks.

That gets me bsak to the original problem, which is:

[23 of 24] Compiling Haddock.Backends.Html ( src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs, dist-install/build/haddock/haddock-tmp/Haddock/Backends/Html.o )

src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs:1495:4:
    Ambiguous occurrence `maybeParen'
    It could refer to either `Haddock.Backends.Html.maybeParen', defined at src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs:1462:0
                          or `GHC.maybeParen', imported from GHC at src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs:42:0-39

src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs:1511:4:
    Ambiguous occurrence `maybeParen'
    It could refer to either `Haddock.Backends.Html.maybeParen', defined at src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs:1462:0
                          or `GHC.maybeParen', imported from GHC at src/Haddock/Backends/Html.hs:42:0-39

etc.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire